Saturday, May 1, 2010

Sheridan, Wyoming

Last week, I made a stop at the local Walgreen's drugstore to pick up an ink cartridge for my printer. I spotted also a "topsy turvy" tomato planter and bought it. While checking out, a woman behind me began to chat with me. Turns out she was an out of towner, told me she lived in Sheridan, Wyoming. She said it is a terrific town, and is the third largest town in Wyoming. She said she was here in California visiting a grandchild and could not wait to get home again. I told her that I had only been to Cheyenne in the past, and liked Wyoming in general, and that I would do a post on her town here. So... here goes.
Sheridan has a history of cattle ranching, railroading, mining, breweries and refineries. Today it is a charming town that has preserved much of its wild west flavor. There are year round scheduled activities that reflect this history, such as the Buffalo Bill Days in the summertime, June 24-June 27th this year. . The town had about 15,000 population in the last census of 2000; today it probably is around 20,000 or so. In the past decade, there has been an increased interest in the arts, with the installation of street art sculptures and the opening of some small galleries. The historic Sheridan Inn was said to have been built by Buffalo Bill Cody himself, and it still stands today. Sheridan has been ranked as number one of the top western towns in the country by True West Magazine.
Antelopes and Cowboy Bars.. the flavor of the West..
A street intersection in Sheridan, Wyoming.. a real western town.

No comments:

Post a Comment